Sunday 14 September 2008

Air today

Attended the Leuchars Airshow yesterday as part of their Scottish Fair.
It was a bit of an eventful day overall, 1st was the 5am start to travel to Leuchars to be on site and ready to trade by 8am. This was a bit of a shock to the system as mornings are not really my thing. It was also a bit strange getting up when it was still dark.

Part of the reason for the early start is the need for security checks before you can enter the airbase. I've never had the car searched by a sniffer dog on the way to a show before (or any other time for that matter).

This was a bit nerve racking as our soap contains a lot of glycerine, but luckily not nitro glycerine. Our Stop Kidding Around soap contains almond oil. Semtex smells of almonds, not sure why I know this as I have never smelt semtex. it must be one of those useless fact you pick up just so you can remember it when a sniffer dog reaches your boot!

Just to top things off I had a large number of bombs in the boot......., well bath bombs anyway. I was very careful to refer to them as bath fizz during the day.
Tick, Tick, Tick......., Tick Booomm!
Anyway the sniffer dog was satisfied that none of our products could be used in the pursuit of evil so I was allowed entry.

The show was very busy all day but due to the weather a lot of the flying displays did not take place which was a bit of a disapointment for the visitors.

Being in an aircraft hanger meant I couldn't see a lot of what was happening but did catch a glimpse of one or two planes including a Spitfire. I was a bit disappointed not to be able to see the Vulcan Bomber (grounded due to low cloud) as I remember these flying over my house when I was a kid. Yes I am that old!

Worryingly it was dark again by the time I got home, the nights are fair drawing in as my dad always says.

Dave

2 comments:

Just Original said...

What a fab post!

I can imagine it is was like going through customs on your return from a holiday 'Guilt, Paranoia'!

Glad the show went well for you!

Vanessa x

Claire Robertson said...

Hi Vanessa, thanks for dropping by.

Yep, same feeling!

Dave